January 9, 2016 by Chris Kite
Shortly after Barack Obama was elected as our 44th President, Republicans and the right started warning about how he would wreck the economy. As if the last guy hadn’t already wrecked it.
And every time President Obama tried to do something, Republicans warned is of the dire consequences. “Obamacare” was going to destroy America and ruin our economy. Especially because it is more than 15% of our GDP.
The deficit (which he as reduced). The EPA. Clean energy. Over regulation. And on and on and on.
Yet the latest economic reports show a surprisingly strong economy while most of the rest of the world struggles. Some highlights:
– Lowest number of December layoffs in 15-1/2 years
– 44th straight week of unemployment claims below 300,000
– Unemployment at a 7-1/2 year low (5%)
– Two best years of job gains in 2014 (2.720M) and 2015 (2.650M) since 1999
– More car and light truck sales in the US than any other year (17.47M)
So I would have to say that as an economy wrecker, he’s been pretty disappointing!